UNIONS REACH TENTATIVE AGREEMENT WITH AMERICAN RED CROSS
The union coalition representing 4,500 workers at the American Red Cross reached a national tentative agreement late in the evening on August 30th, 2018. The union members who travelled from across the country to represent their locals at bargaining sessions, and the solidarity demonstrated by the thousands of union members who wore buttons and shared photos made the difference in winning this agreement.
We were successful in not allowing any takeaways, and we made some important national gains, including:
- Cumulative across-the-board wage increases of more than 8% over three years.
- Significant wins on health care and benefits, including: no increases to outof-pocket maximums or deductibles; improvements to life insurance and short-term disability; limits to the share of premiums paid by employees; an ability for employees with other qualified insurance to opt-out; and more.
- Standard-setting health and safety protection for members, providing a way to address current or new workplace changes that impact worker safety.
- Agreement from Red Cross to engage in collaborative processes with us nationally throughout this contract on some key issues like guaranteed hours and late-end times at fixed sites.
- And more (details to follow)